Wednesday 23 July 2014

Lana Del Rey admits she has 'slept with a lot of guys in the industry'

The ‘West Coast’ singer opened up about her relationships with men in the industry, which she said have not helped her career.

 Lana Del Rey may have written a song called "F---ed My Way Up To The Top" for her new album, but the singer says her real life romps within the industry didn't actually get her very far.

Describing the stand-out track from new album "Ultraviolence" in a feature with Complex magazine, Del Rey, 29, explained that the shocking song title is more of a tongue-in-cheek jab at her reputation.

"It's commentary, like, 'I know what you think of me,' and I'm alluding to that," Del Rey said.

"You know, I have slept with a lot of guys in the industry, but none of them helped me get my record deals. Which is annoying."


 The nonchalant comment comes as little surprise - Del Rey has been known to openly describe her passionate, often times reckless relationships with men in her songs - much to the chagrin of some feminist groups.

"I like a hands-on love," she told Complex. "How can I say this without getting into too much trouble? I like a tangible, passionate love. For me, if it isn't physical, I'm not interested."

Del Rey also talked about covering the famous Nina Simone song "The Other Woman" on her album - telling a similar story about spending time with industry men.

"I had a long-term relationship for seven years with someone who was the head of a label and I felt like I was that change of routine," she told Complex. "The people I was drawn to were already established, but they were probably looking for someone more on their level, age-wise. But I love the idea of wrapping up the record with a reference."

Del Rey recently caused controversy for stating "I wish I were dead already" in an interview with The Guardian. Her comments made their way back to late Nirvana rocker Kurt Cobain's daughter Francis Bean Cobain, who - considering her father's untimely demise - slammed Del Rey's supposed glamorization of early death.

"The good thing about catching so much grief from critics is that you literally do not f---ing care," Del Rey told Complex.

"It put me in a mind frame where I expect things not to go right, because they generally don't. But it's not a pessimistic place. The music is always good, in my opinion. That's what I expect now from my career, that the music is going to be great and the reaction's going to be f---ed up."
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...